So first off this is just my opinion on the new Beth clips that just leaked, not an attack on anyone’s ship, which is why it isn’t tagged with Caryl:) Also Gifs because, feeeellllsss…. forgive me.
1. I don’t think Beth has amnesia, when you see her in the hospital for the first time she’s obviously confused but she knows her own name, so chances are its just her being untrustworthy and quiet. She wouldn’t react to Carol being brought in because its obviously after she’s been there for a while and has been beaten, so she knows what these people are capable of and not to trust them.
2. It looks like Carol sacrifices herself for Beth and probably Daryl. We know she’s at the hospital with Beth and that when you see Daryl come back and Michonne ask about Carol, he looks away upset and then calls out to someone behind him (probably Beth). I don’t wish death on Carol but I think narrative wise this is where they have been building to, its obvious she feels guilty about the people she killed and she’s incredibly removed from everyone, so this looks like the way she might chose to ‘atone’ for her sins. Especially after being at the church this is where her mind might be, looking for a way out and sacrificing herself for two people she cares about. They might have written themselves into a corner with Carol at this point since she has done so much and seems unable to forgive herself and rejoin her family, even after saying she wants to start over, she still tries to leave, knowing that as strong as she is, being out there alone is basically a death wish. Whether you dislike Beth or Bethyl, you have to remember that Carol as a character loves them both and would sacrifice herself to protect them, because they are her family.
3. Beth deserves a bit more love than she gets. It always surprises me the way certain female characters are viewed. If they are strong from the get go (like Michonne) and become vulnerable, we don’t view that as weakness. If they start as victims and become stronger (like Carol) we respect them, we let them find their strength and respect that. Whereas when Beth sees the same sort of character development (although slower) we see her as annoying, needy, weak etc. Looking at how far she has come from the sheltered farm girl to a fighter and someone who managed to comfort and give Daryl some peace, I’m so proud of her character. The Walking Dead doesn’t have a great track record of creating well thought out female characters, especially in the early seasons with Andrea and Lori, but I really love what they have managed to do with Beth, Michonne, Carol and Maggie. They have layers, they aren’t just one thing anymore, but people seem to hate Beth for growing. And if you think that a cop trying to force her into having sex is acceptable, we can just part ways here. I for one am expecting her to stab him in the eye with some scissors because she isn’t about to become the victim again. She has changed and Daryl helped with that, but she has also been hardened by her experiences over the past few years, she’s shaped herself into a warrior the same as her sister did. CHARACTER GROWTH.
4. I don’t know what is going to happen with Daryl and Beth, I just know that while everyone settled and sort of looked forward and forgot her, Daryl didn’t. He went after her without a second thought, even with everyone found and with him again, something was missing. Beth has had such a huge effect on him, the same as Rick and Carol have before, in shaping his outlook and changing what he thinks he is capable of and who he is. Whether you want to believe its romantic or not, it saved him from thinking the way Carol does now, that there is no going back and that too much damage has been done. Daryl could easily be as broken down as Carol is (Norman admitted as much), without Beth he might have not been able to come back from what happened at the prison. So I really want to see the dynamic between him and Beth at the camp with their family. Personally it would great to see them sort of become an inseparable team that just gets each other without words and slowly becomes romantic… but I’m rambling now.
5. Beth isn’t going to die. She can’t. If Carol doesn’t make it then we’re already down one essential female character, I just don’t see them decimating the ‘original’ cast more this season. Since we really only have Glenn, Maggie, Beth, Daryl, Rick, Carl and Michonne left. They have to keep some of them around since we have the biggest connection to them and are more invested in their outcomes more than Tara or Eugenes’. Plus this isn’t Glee, they can’t just create a whole new cast and kill all the originals off…. or send them to New York.
6. Maggie. Maggie. Maggie. I love you but the fact that you haven’t really mentioned your sister at all since leaving the prison and don’t even look a little sad that its just Glenn there and not her too, isn’t working. The writers are kind of doing her character a disservice here and I’m hoping its because there will be a bit of dramatic payoff when Beth comes back, since she had such faith that everyone would live and no one but Daryl really saw the same in her. I think the show needs that sort of conflict instead of just the big bad of the season and monotony of survival.
Ah sorry this was so long! I have feeeeels okay?
You probably have no idea how amazing you are… I agree with you 100%!! Though I’m not really ok with Daryl and Beth not being romantic, because I’m just desperately in love with the idea of a romantic relationship between them… Buuut, whatever happens, happens.
And although I love Carol, that really does make a lot of sense. I can really see Carol being that kind of woman. She has this wonderful spiritual essence about her. And right now, itr’s layered with guilt and regret. If this actually does happen, though, I’ll probably drown in my own tears.
Hey, but I can’t really blame Maggie, although I’ll admit, I am a bit upset with her because of this. But yeah, she didn’t know how Beth developed. When the prison was raided, she was desperate to find Beth, but seeing her nowhere in sight, it really seemed hopeless. For as long as Beth was in Maggie’s sight, she was that fragile farm girl. So I can’t blame Maggie for having no hope she survived. And hey, when Beth does come out alive, I’ll love to see Maggie’s reaction. Beth could really live up her belief that not everything is hopeless. :)
Aww you’re so sweet! Trust me though I need Bethyl in my life BADLY, I’m just trying to gear myself for it being a bit of a slow burn. I like that they aren’t going to be like Maggie/Glenn and Bob/Sasha, its going to be sweet but different, because Daryl is so scarred. So they can’t kill her because I need this storyline in my life, lol.
I really do love Maggie, but the writers have this singular focus issue where she could only care about Glenn and wanting him back, like there was no room for Beth. Maybe they did that on purpose because she has Daryl to rely on now, so she’s moved beyond just having her family, to having a partner of her own. But I can’t wait to see them react to how Beth has changed, and that she isn’t fragile and constantly needing protection:)